Friday, April 4, 2014

Engaging Every Parent and Guardian

Jamie Thompson, Iowa Reading Corps
AmeriCorps Member
Blog post written by Jamie Thompson, Iowa Reading Corps AmeriCorps Member at Neil Armstrong Elementary in Bettendorf.

The past few weeks have provided an important opportunity for me to get to know my students and their families. I recently participated in parent-teacher conferences by sharing more detailed information about the Reading Corps program with the families of students who currently receive Reading Corps services. I also provided examples of how the twenty minutes that I spend with these students each day has helped the students grow as readers. Many of my students' parents and guardians were very interested in the program and even asked to receive more information about the interventions that I use with their children so they can begin using similar strategies when they read with their children at home. 

Our student graphs provided a great and easy-to-follow visual representation of each child’s progress. As a member of the Neil Armstrong community, I felt that it was very important for me to use this opportunity to introduce myself as the Reading Corps AmeriCorps member and to share positive feedback regarding my students' reading growth and progress. Because many of the students who I tutor in literacy are also below grade level in other subjects, many of these students' families do not receive a lot of “positive” information at conferences. I was happy to take this opportunity to share some progress and good news!

No comments:

Post a Comment